Throughout December, we are highlighting each of the organizations featured in our Jersey Give-Back Guide, which is a website designed to help you learn about some of New Jersey’s most effective nonprofits as you are thinking about making your year-end donations. On Day 8 of the “15 Days of Generating Generosity” we are featuring the fourth of the four El Sistema-inspired programs in New Jersey: Union City Music Project.
El Sistema is a music training program designed to build self esteem, leadership, teamwork and music skills for disadvantaged kids. Their approach emphasizes working as a team in an ensemble, encouraging students to teach and learn from one another, while also experiencing the joy and fun of musical learning. El Sistema produces truly talented musicians, and it is not an exaggeration to say that it has dramatically changed the lives of hundreds of thousands of our nation’s neediest kids. We are thrilled to have FOUR unique El Sistema programs in New Jersey. Donate to one nearest you: Camden, Newark, Paterson or Union City.
UNION CITY MUSIC PROJECT (UNION CITY)
The Union City Music Project uses music as a vehicle for social change by engaging Union City’s at-risk children and youth in an afterschool program devoted to promoting arts appreciation, academic excellence, community awareness, and family involvement. Watch the short video below to understand the transformative power of this program.
- Union City Music Project gives kids something to sing – and play – about
- More than “just a bunch of noise”
- To learn more about the Union City Music Project’s El Sistema program, please visit their website.
- Ready to make a donation? Ok! Please go to the Jersey Give-Back Guide, and click on El Sistema. With just a few easy clicks, you can help kids grow into confident, skilled adults through the power of music.
- The Dodge Foundation is offering $1,000 challenge grants to each of the organizations featured in the Jersey Give-Back Guide. To be eligible, each organization must receive at least 50 donations through the Guide by December 31st. Help them reach their goal and get that extra $1,000!