From Thanksgiving to New Year’s, we are highlighting each of the organizations featured in the Jersey Give-Back Guide, an online giving gadget that takes the guesswork out of year-end giving.
Pinelands Preservation Alliance
What they do:
The Pinelands Preservation Alliance works tirelessly to defend New Jersey’s largest wilderness – the Pinelands National Reserve. Our goal is to make sure the Pine Barrens are always here for people like you. Studies show that access to nature improves our mental and physical health. We simply can’t afford to lose our natural places. We know this and yet we have to fight each day to protect the nature we have left in this country and in New Jersey.
The Pinelands Preservation Alliance serves all the residents of New Jersey and beyond by working to protect the Pinelands National Reserve, the largest open space of the eastern seaboard between the forests of Maine and the Florida Everglades.
What makes them great:
The survival of New Jersey’s Pinelands is entirely dependent on the regulations that were created to protect it. The Pinelands Plan is America’s most outstanding example of smart growth planning. Because of the Pinelands Plan we still have genuine wilderness that you can’t find anywhere else in our very developed state.
We have been working to protect the Pinelands National Reserve for 26 years. We have unparalleled expertise in Pinelands laws and regulations. Our policy positions, expert testimony and initiatives are based on sound science. This gives us a strong nonpartisan reputation among legislative leaders, government agencies and the citizens of New Jersey.
This expertise allows us to engage thousands of people each year in meaningful actions to protect the wildest place in New Jersey. We know this is important now, more than ever, as there is ever increasing pressure to waive the rules that protect in order to construct natural gas pipelines and allow other types of incompatible development.
How your donation will help make an impact:
Supporting our work is a great way to keep New Jersey green. The Pinelands National Reserve covers 22% of the state. If you love New Jersey’s wild spaces then keeping the Pinelands protected should be at the top of your list. Here is an example of what we can do for you:
- A Voice. We represent your interests in the face of powerful forces that would see the Pinelands developed despite the rules that protect it.
- Action. We are not afraid to take legal action when the situation demands it.
- Information. Knowledge is power. We will provide you with an analysis of the issues based on sound science, not someone’s personal or political point of view.
- Community. You join thousands of other like-minded individuals who are providing critical support of our mission to protect New Jersey’s Pinelands.
- Participation. We know you have a busy schedule and can’t keep track of the meetings, hearings, and complicated issues that matter to the Pinelands. We do that for you. We can help you make a difference – sometimes with just the click of a button.
Pinelands forests and streams demand little from us – yet they give us back so much. I hope you will give back today.
How you can get even more involved:
We are always looking for volunteers to help us in the office and at events. Advocates are needed who are willing to take action to protect this amazing region. Sign up online at www.pinelandsalliance.org. Bring friends and family out to the Pine Barrens on a guided trip with our outdoor recreation service, Pinelands Adventures (www.pinelandsadventures.org). You can’t protect what you don’t love.
–Becky Free, Director of Membership and Communications