Throughout December, we are highlighting each of the organizations featured in our Jersey Give-Back Guide, an online portal for year-end giving that makes it easy to donate to some of New Jersey’s most effective nonprofits. Today we feature GreenFaith.
Organization name: GreenFaith
Communities served: Communities of diverse faiths nationwide
Get Generous: Make a Year-End Gift
WHAT WE DO: As one of the oldest religious-environmental groups in the country, GreenFaith has worked with tens of thousands of people and institutions of faith to help them put their faith into action for the Earth.
We are interfaith and hands-on, and believe in the importance of real, concrete environmental changes within faith communities. Every religious tradition teaches stewardship of the Earth, and we provide communities the information, tools and resources to carry out those values and make a difference for the planet.
We are a one-stop-shop on environmental issues, covering sustainability, “green” preaching and teaching, environmental justice advocacy, and much more. We believe environmental leadership is not one-size-fits-all, and aim to help each and every community — no matter the size, location or tradition — find the program and the steps that fit their needs and goals best.
WHY WE’RE GREAT: One of GreenFaith’s greatest achievements is our level of impact—our programming matches organizations many times our size.
This year alone, we:
- Facilitated the financing and installation of over 1 megawatt of solar arrays on New Jersey faith-based facilities
- Helped over 1.5 million square feet of faith-based real estate become more energy efficient, leveraging over $1 million in utility and state rebates and incentives through our Energy Services program
- Worked with 40 institutions in our innovative Water Shield program, leading to dozens of rain barrels, rain gardens and water-saving fixtures installed. One congregation even created the country’s first weeklong interfaith environmental camp!
- Welcomed our 75th congregation into our Certification Program, representing 25 states
- Trained our largest class of GreenFaith Fellows — representing the Jewish, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Unitarian and Baha’i traditions
- Organized the faith contingent at the People’s Climate March in New York City, with over 15,000 people of faith participating
- Launched Our Voices, an international campaign around climate change, with over 50,000 signatures from 63 countries represented since its launch
GreenFaith is consistently on the cutting edge, whether it be through launching a religiously-based fossil-fuel divestment campaign this past year, or creating the first international climate change campaign specific to people of faith. We believe faith will be the game changer for the environmental movement, and it is our mission to inspire, educate and mobilize religious communities to that end.
HOW YOUR DONATION WILL HELP: Many of GreenFaith’s programs were launched through the support of generous funders like the Dodge Foundation; our Water Shield, Certification Program and Fellowship Programs are all good examples. We’re very thankful for that support, and to be given the flexibility to innovate in this work.
However, like many non-profits, we typically lack general support, helping to keep our many good programs running. While we are increasingly requiring fees to our programs, those fees rarely cover the total cost. This is where donations are vital — 90 percent of individual donations that come in are allocated directly to programming, helping us to fulfill our mission.
There are also many initiatives, such as our work on the People’s Climate March, or the international climate change campaign, which don’t yet have grant support. Your donation will go a long way in helping to give those programs the foundation they need.
ADDITIONAL NEEDS: Spread the word! GreenFaith has grown substantially over the years through word of mouth. Tell your local church, synagogue, JCC or religious school about us, and encourage them to be in touch.
Volunteer with us! Many of our programs are helped through the generosity of volunteers. Do you have a particular skill or interest that you’d like to contribute? Please let us know!
MORE ON GREENFAITH: Recharge Your Car Along With Your Soul: GreenFaith Comes to Morristown Churches (via Morristown Green); Grace Church Rutherford Benefits From GreenFaith’s Energy Services Program (via Diocese of Newark)
— Stacey Kennealy, GreenFaith Certification Program and Shield Director
GO TO THE JERSEY GIVE BACK GUIDE NOW.
The Dodge Foundation is offering $1,000 challenge grants to each of the organizations featured in the Jersey Give-Back Guide. To be eligible, each organization must receive at least 50 donations through the Guide by December 31st. Help them reach their goal and get that extra $1,000!