Throughout December, we are highlighting each of the organizations featured in our Jersey Give-Back Guide, which is a website designed to help you learn about some of New Jersey’s most effective nonprofits as you are thinking about making your year-end donations. On Day 3 of the “15 Days of Generating Generosity” we are pleased to tell you about Clean Ocean Action.
If you love the Jersey Shore – and we know you do – then surely you want to keep the beaches clean and the water safe to swim in. Yet, our ocean and beaches face threats from all kinds of pollution. You didn’t know that, you say? That’s because Clean Ocean Action is living up to its name. They work every single day to protect your beloved Jersey Shore from toxins and trash in the water and on the beaches. On top of that, their volunteers have picked up over 2.25 million pieces of trash – 606,000 pounds! – since 1993, not including the tremendous help they gave to Hurricane Sandy clean-up. Show your love for the Shore by supporting the work of Clean Ocean Action.
- Data from their Spring and Fall 2013 Beach Sweeps will be released next spring. Meanwhile, you will be appalled by these 36 Most Ridiculous Items Found on New Jersey Beaches and the statistics on all the trash picked up in past sweeps (don’t miss the slideshow). And here’s the 2012 Beach Sweeps report. (PDF)
- COA’s founder and executive director Cindy Zipf talks with the EnviroPolitics Blog about the challenges and threats facing the Jersey Shore.
- To learn more about Clean Ocean Action, please visit their website.
- Ready to make a donation? Ok! Please go to the Jersey Give-Back Guide, and click on Clean Ocean Action. With just a few easy clicks, you can help protect our ocean and waterways here in New Jersey.
- The Dodge Foundation is offering $1,000 challenge grants to each of the organizations featured in the Jersey Give-Back Guide. To be eligible, each organization must receive at least 50 donations through the Guide by December 31st. Help them reach their goal and get that extra $1,000!